TPA looks toward the future of journalism
The Texas Press Association and the Interscholastic League Press Conference once again have teamed together to organize a contest designed specifically for journalism students throughout Texas.
The contest, known as the “Lone Star Journalism Writing Contest,” involves a student writing a “general interest feature” and then publishing the article in the local paper. Cash prizes will be awarded to the winners of the contest. Since UIL Academics does not have an amateur rule, students may participate in this contest as well as participate in UIL journalism (or any academic contest).
We encourage students to write and submit several general interest features to the local paper. For the contest, each student should send his/her entry to the ILPC office for judging. Entries at the state contest will be broken down into small school (A-3A) and large school (4A-5A) categories. Local papers may choose to have a local contest before submitting entries to ILPC.
First place in each category will receive a $125 cash prize, second place will receive a $100 cash prize and third place will receive a $75 cash prize. Winners will be notified after the 2011 Texas Press Midwinter Conference in San Marcos.
1. Article must be published in the local paper. The paper’s editor has the right to edit the story or return it to the student for re-write before publishing it.
2. Students may enter only one entry.
3. The story can be any length, but must be considered a general interest feature. It does not have to focus
on the school. The feature can be about anything dealing with the community or something that has
had some effect on the community. Good feature writing skills are encouraged and expected.
4. A first, second and third place winner in the small school category and a first, second and third place
winner in large school category will receive cash prizes as listed above.
5. Deadline for publication is Nov. 13, and all local winners must have their entries postmarked to the
state office no later than Tuesday, Nov. 16. Winners will be notified by mail.
6. There is no entry form, but on the back of each entry, please place the writer’s name, school, local
newspaper name, date published and a phone number or e-mail where the contestant can be reached.
Also include your school address.
7. Send entries to: ILPC, c/o Jeanne Acton, P.O. Box 8028, Austin, TX 78713-8028.
For more information contact :
Waco Citizen Newspaper
The Suburban Courier
1020 North 25th St.
Waco, Texas 76707
Fax (254) 754-3541
- Seeking the 2010 Cute Kid of the Year!
- Local girls place in top 15 in Miss Texas USA pageant
- Enter to Win an Exciting Hunt Package from Texas Parks and Wildlife!
- Innovate the Future, by David Croslin: Step-by-Step Innovation Method Demystifies Innovation
- MOODY COTTON HARVEST FESTIVAL Shirts are Here!